Talk:Social and Communicative Factors in Learning
Lauren suggests looking at work Shayer and Adey. Here are a couple of references:
- Adey, P.S. & Shayer, M. (1990). Accelerating the development of formal thinking in middle and high school students. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27(31), 267 - 285.
- Adey, P.S. & Shayer, M. (1994). Really Raising Standards: cognitive intervention and academic achievement. London: Routledge.
Following a more recent conversation with Lauren, here are a few others:
- Alexander, R. (2000) Culture and pedagogy: International comparisons in primary education Blackwell , Oxford
- Alexander, R. (2008) Towards teaching: Rethinking classroom talk. 4th ed., Dialogos , York, England
- Alexander, R. Mercer, N. and Hodgkinson, S. (eds) (2005) Culture, dialogue and learning: Notes on an emerging pedagogy. Exploring talk in school Sage , London.
In the spirit of "do now and ask forgiveness later", I'm going to add these references on the main page of the article.
--Koedinger 10:53, 2 April 2010 (EDT)
this recent paper looks potentially interesting
- Mercer, N. (2008). The Seeds of Time: Why Classroom Dialogue Needs a Temporal Analysis. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 17(1), 33-59. doi:10.1080/10508400701793182.
--Koedinger 11:19, 2 April 2010 (EDT)